Date of Event: Apr 2, 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at "Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases" on April 2, 2020. The webinar is presented by Osgoode Professional Development and has been created for lawyers defending a professional in disciplinary proceedings, or representing a regulator.
Professional discipline hearings are serious matters. For the professional, years of education, experience, reputation, and livelihood are all on the line. For the licensing body and its counsel, there’s pressure to vigorously protect the public interest and to respond to allegations of misconduct, incompetence or incapacity in a fair, effective and timely manner. You need to have an in-depth and up-to-date grasp of the key areas:
- Assessing duties and powers
- Duty of good faith, neutrality, and reasonableness
- The professional’s duty to co-operate and its limits
- Internal investigations, privilege, and privacy obligations
- Documentary requests and production
- Challenging the adequacy of disclosure to the respondent
- Delay/abuse of process: how long is too long?
- The standard of practice: battle of the experts
- The hearing: evidence and its presentation, penalties, costs and settlement
- Dealing effectively with concurrent criminal and civil proceedings
- Court challenges to professional discipline decisions
- Ethical and professional issues in professional discipline practice
To register or learn more, please visit the Osgoode Professional Development website.
Lindsay Kantor to speak at upcoming OBA Health Law Program: Professional Regulation and Discipline of Health Professionals – How the Landscape Has Cha...
Oct 7, 2020
Robert Barbiero of our Health Law Group is co-chairing the OBA Health Law Program regarding Professional Regulation and Discipline of Health Professio...
Oct 7, 2020
On May 28, 2020, Rob will be giving a talk to U of T faculty of dentistry oral and maxillofacial surgery residents concerning complaints filed with th...
May 28, 2020