Date of Event: Apr 2, 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at "Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases" on April 2, 2020. The webinar is presented by Osgoode Professional Development and has been created for lawyers defending a professional in disciplinary proceedings, or representing a regulator.
Professional discipline hearings are serious matters. For the professional, years of education, experience, reputation, and livelihood are all on the line. For the licensing body and its counsel, there’s pressure to vigorously protect the public interest and to respond to allegations of misconduct, incompetence or incapacity in a fair, effective and timely manner. You need to have an in-depth and up-to-date grasp of the key areas:
- Assessing duties and powers
- Duty of good faith, neutrality, and reasonableness
- The professional’s duty to co-operate and its limits
- Internal investigations, privilege, and privacy obligations
- Documentary requests and production
- Challenging the adequacy of disclosure to the respondent
- Delay/abuse of process: how long is too long?
- The standard of practice: battle of the experts
- The hearing: evidence and its presentation, penalties, costs and settlement
- Dealing effectively with concurrent criminal and civil proceedings
- Court challenges to professional discipline decisions
- Ethical and professional issues in professional discipline practice
To register or learn more, please visit the Osgoode Professional Development website.
Lisa Corrente moderates the "Human Resources: The Greatest Challenge in Canadian Health Care Today," section of the CBA Health Law Summit. The summit ...
May 24, 2023 - May 26, 2023
Robert Barbiero will conduct a four seminar course titled, "Advanced Legal Issues in Healthcare" in April 2023.
Apr 10, 2023
Lisa Corrente will be speaking at AdvantAge Ontario: Three Current Challenges in LTC Legal and Ethical Decision-Making Webinar Series on Tuesday, May ...
May 23, 2023