Date of Event: Apr 2, 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases 2020
Lindsay Kantor to speak at "Prosecuting and Defending Professional Discipline Cases" on April 2, 2020. The webinar is presented by Osgoode Professional Development and has been created for lawyers defending a professional in disciplinary proceedings, or representing a regulator.
Professional discipline hearings are serious matters. For the professional, years of education, experience, reputation, and livelihood are all on the line. For the licensing body and its counsel, there’s pressure to vigorously protect the public interest and to respond to allegations of misconduct, incompetence or incapacity in a fair, effective and timely manner. You need to have an in-depth and up-to-date grasp of the key areas:
- Assessing duties and powers
- Duty of good faith, neutrality, and reasonableness
- The professional’s duty to co-operate and its limits
- Internal investigations, privilege, and privacy obligations
- Documentary requests and production
- Challenging the adequacy of disclosure to the respondent
- Delay/abuse of process: how long is too long?
- The standard of practice: battle of the experts
- The hearing: evidence and its presentation, penalties, costs and settlement
- Dealing effectively with concurrent criminal and civil proceedings
- Court challenges to professional discipline decisions
- Ethical and professional issues in professional discipline practice
To register or learn more, please visit the Osgoode Professional Development website.
On May 28, 2020, Rob will be giving a talk to U of T faculty of dentistry oral and maxillofacial surgery residents concerning complaints filed with th...
May 28, 2020
Lisa Corrente and David Golden to co-chair the 2020 Guide to Legal Risk Management in Long-Term Care Program at York University's Osgoode Professional...
Jan 23, 2020
Robert Barbiero of our Health Law Group is co-chairing the OBA Health Law Program regarding lessons learned from the public inquiry. This event is bei...
Nov 14, 2019