skip to main content
Mar 8, 2018

Alienating a former spouse may come with a cost in family court — Laurie Pawlitza discusses if a parent is obliged to pay child support when a child refuses to have a relationship in the National Post


“I have a full family and it doesn’t include your (sic) sorry a– ,” wrote a 21-year-old son to his father in a 2005 Ontario case. “If you haven’t realized, you have been replaced.”

In that case and in many other high-conflict separations, children often become involved in the battle between their parents. When that happens, sadly, it is not unusual for children to send messages like this one to the non-residential parent.

But does a payor parent continue to have the obligation to pay child support when a minor child refuses to have a relationship with the payor? What if the primary residential parent encourages the alienation between the payor spouse and the child? Is there a difference when a child is over the age of majority?

This article was published in the National Post. To read the full article, please click here.


Related News

In the News

Laurie Pawlitza speaks to Law Times about the Health Care Consent Act

Laurie H. Pawlitza A recent case highlights how the Health Care Consent Act, which calls for judges to take a child’s wishes into account when it comes to consenting to ...
Mar 6, 2020
Firm News

Adam Black Chairs Session on Dispute Resolution Options When Family Law Matters Do Not Settle

Adam N. Black Osgoode Certificate in Family Law Skills and Practice On March 5th, Adam Black of our Family Law Group will be chairing a full-day course about dispute resolution options available when your family law ma...
Feb 28, 2020
In the News

Daniel Melamed speaks to The Lawyer’s Daily about amicus curiae in private family law cases

Daniel S. Melamed The Ontario Court of Appeal has enunciated the principles governing the appointment of amicus curiae (friend of the court) in private family law cases...
Jan 22, 2020