skip to main content
Mar 8, 2018

Alienating a former spouse may come with a cost in family court

By Laurie H. Pawlitza
​Special to the National Post View original

“I have a full family and it doesn’t include your (sic) sorry a– ,” wrote a 21-year-old son to his father in a 2005 Ontario case. “If you haven’t realized, you have been replaced.”

In that case and in many other high-conflict separations, children often become involved in the battle between their parents. When that happens, sadly, it is not unusual for children to send messages like this one to the non-residential parent.

But does a payor parent continue to have the obligation to pay child support when a minor child refuses to have a relationship with the payor? What if the primary residential parent encourages the alienation between the payor spouse and the child? Is there a difference when a child is over the age of majority?

This article was published in the National Post. To read the full article, please click here.